Disparaissez

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Moderation

In all honesty, this post will most likely be deleted. However, I did need something to write here to see what the blog would look like and thus be able to edit its appearance.

So what is this? Just another blog.

Yes.

And hopefully no.

It is a blog, so I can't just argue with that definition. I mean, i'd be some sort of crazy person if I tried. Or maybe I'd be inspired. Let's hope inspired...

But with time I am hoping it actually becomes something much more than a place where I come to bitch and moan about what bothers me in the world at that one specific time and place. Bitching is entertaining, don't get me wrong, but it's fairly unconstructive by itself.

Case in point: Hurricane Katrina.

It was a disaster. A natural disaster the magnitude of which hasn't been seen in the United States since... what... the Great Hurricane that nearly wiped Galveston, TX off the map in 1900. And people do have a right to complain about the government (both state and federal) responses, and to complain about FEMA in particular. But eventually, where does that lead without someone actually getting up and doing something about it.

Most of us won't though. You can bet on that. Oh sure, some might drop an extra dollar into a collection bucket. Or maybe we'll buy a sporty new colored piece of plastic to wear around our wristst. Something to say, "Hey, Look! I care. See the color?"

But then what?

So who knows. Maybe this will be my actual contribution. This blog... maybe people will join and write and take some sort of action. Maybe it will be used to report on things. Important things. And of course there will be opinions. I wouldn't want that to stop. Opinions are good. And they certainly are entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home