Disparaissez

Monday, May 01, 2006

Immigration Revival

So before I start, I need to apologize for not posting on here in a regular manner.

Actually, I need to apologize for not posting... at all. That's been my fault, partly due to being extremely busy, and partly due to laziness. I won't get into the percentages of either, because I fear it would be slanted toward laziness.

So now, onto this whole immigration thing. Or for the moment, maybe just the language thing.

The President has said that it should be an imperative (as I try to remember how to spell that word) that all Americans should learn English.

I can't believe I find myself saying this, but I agree with him. (And yes, I think he should try learning it too).

I think they should learn English, as soon as possible upon entering this country, whether legally or not. The reason I feel this way is not because of some ethnocentric belief that English is the best langauge or that to be an American means you absolutely have to speak English. It's more a matter of their own good. To be in this country and really survive, you have to know the language. That's a truth for any place that you live, be it France, Germany or Pakistan. If you want to not be taken advantage of, then you have to know how to communicate.

And it's important to talk to the people that you are trying to effect change with in their native language. I wouldn't go to Mexico or Italy asking for equal rights, or any rights, in my own language. I would try to communicate in their native language, or majority language. It's important to learn to talk in the language that the laws are written in.

It may step on some toes, and sound unfair, but if you want to survive, then it's a necessity.

And then there is the the simple fact that it's more effective. Take today, for instance. Apparently some Spanish radio outlets have composed a Spanish-version of the Star Spangled Banner, to be sung as immigrants march today. To me this seems like a backwards approach. If you want to ask for citizenship and rights of a country, you should do it in the same language that the basic laws of the land are written in. You should respect the cultural bounds of the country that you want to be a part of. That's not to say that you can't bring your own flavor of culture into the mix, especially since this country was founded on such principles (culturally, in ideal at least).

It will be interesting to see how today's demonstrations play out. But I will say this: those demonstrating today will score more sympathy and understanding points if they march under an American flag, sing the American national anthem, and conduct themselves in a respectful manner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home